Thursday, March 03, 2005

 

How to break MySql, and apparently lots and lots of other Linux thingies as well...

Well, this is a neat trick I'd like to share with you all (okay I'm printing it here in order to make it less possible I fuck up again...)

This is what I did to make it impossible to log on to MySql with anything else than the:
$ mysql -u .... -p
thingy. I went to the /etc/hosts file and changed the
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
to
127.0.0.1 somename localhost
that made MySql go postal on every single login attempt I made. It said, it couldn't logon root@somename.

Did I know what I was doing when I did this change? Not the least. It was actually part of another attempt to make some software work. The problem was that no change at all appeared until I restarted the system, that was when all hell broke lose. (Well not litterally, all that really happened was that MySql broke, then ofcourse an already existing problem with the fonts -- i'll make a post sooner or later -- became really nasty when OpenOffice.org became unreadable... I mean the silly app used dingbats or whatever for system font... but more about that elsewhere!)

So, anyway, don't do that one at home, kids!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?